Posts Tagged ‘Versailles’
May 27th, 2011 | Rachel
Steve and I are finally staying at a hotel with wifi, so here’s a brief update about our trip so far (tip: if you click on the photos you can view them larger):
1. We missed our flight to Paris! :*-(
2. Fortunately, the universe was smiling upon us that day and gave us two seats (together!) on a direct flight an hour later. :-D
3. Since arriving in France there has been quite a bit of this:
4. Our first stop was Versailles. Determined to beat the jet lag, we spent the first day deliriously wandering around the (rather charming) city.
5. We spent the entire next day at the French Open!
6. Unfortunately, we lost all of our souvenirs and Steve’s camera (pictured above) on the Paris metro.
7. That didn’t change the fact that we were staying at the amazing Trianon Palace (they double booked us the first night and put us up in another nice hotel and then upgraded us to an amaaaaazing room for our second night) and were already stuffed with delicious food (although I am not a big fan of escargot).
8. Our next stop was Rouen, which happens to be where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Rouen is incredibly charming as well, and we had the good fortune of meeting the owners of a vintage clothing store who recommended a restaurant for dinner. I’ll probably write a whole post about it… it was perfect.
9. The next morning we were up bright and early and drove to the D-Day landing beaches in Normandy. The American memorial at Omaha Beach is the most amazing memorial I have seen.
10. After Normandy, we drove down to Brittany to see Mont St. Michel.
Tonight we drove most of the way to Bordeaux, where we will spend the next few days. We stopped in a random city called Niantes and plan to eat an early lunch in Cognac tomorrow before heading south again.
That’s all for now!